Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Books You Need To Read

Basically, they're my favorite books and I'm genuinely upset that when I reference them around you that you don't get it.

I don't intend to read mostly female authors, but I do. Most of the chick-lit I've read by men is truly a struggle to read, because they just don't get it. Also, girl power!

1. Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella


This was one of my first forays into the world of chick-lit, and I probably read it for the first time when I was.... 11? 12? Sophie Kinsella (the pen name of Madeleine Wickham) is one of my favorite authors. She's published books under both names, and I devour all of them. More complex than your average chick-lit, but just a supremely satisfying author. Real talk, her book Twenties Girl made me cry. Like I was sitting with my family and all of a sudden I'm blubbering. Love love love love love. Fair warning, I'm sure lots of people won't understand the main character, Becky, and how she gets herself into the same situation over and over again, but I do. With just a bit less self-control, I could easily see myself getting into her mindset, which is why it's so important to read it. You'll become more self-aware with your spending, without her convenient happy ending.


2. World War Z by Max Brooks


Okay, so fair warning, I already know I'm going to freaking HATE the movie of this. Mostly because this book is done in the style of a report, where we get accounts from all over the world at various times during the war, from the very very beginning until the end. Now, I like Brad Pitt and whatnot, but unless he's James freaking Bond there is NO way he was all over the world during all the parts of this war. Like... no. However, if you don't want to sleep at night, read this. Legitimately terrifying. In fact, this is the kind of book that you put in the freezer. ("Friends" reference? Anyone? Oh. Okay.)

3. To The Moon and Back by Jill Mansell


Again, I have a huge book-crush on this author. I own almost everything she's written and I just love her. Likeable characters and I was legit sobbing in the first chapter of this book. I WAS AT WORK, AS A NANNY, WAITING FOR THIS KID TO GET HOME, AND HE COMES IN AND I'M CRYING. It was almost as bad as when I watched "Up" for the first time while I was babysitting. The first 5 minutes of that movie is the first chapter of this book. Quickly you're built up and then you're swiftly knocked onto your ass and you throw the book across the room. Mansell pulled a Tolken "red wedding" right away. Ugh. But the actual story is also totally worth the pain.


4. There's Cake In My Future by Kim Gruenenfelder

This woman needs a pen name. That last name is a freaking trip. Anywho, I loved this book. Whenever I can get a bunch of characters and storylines in one book, I instantly love it more. Sometimes multiple storylines can lead to a bit of a mess (I once spent half of a book completely confused regarding who was who and had to stop and start from the beginning), but this one pulls it off in a very "Love, Actually" kind of way. Oh and read her other books. You won't regret it. 

5. Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin


THE MOVIE FOR THIS OMFG PLEASE JUST DON'T BOTHER. I loved the characters in this book despite their flaws, but the movie just made all of them so.... shallow. Ethan isn't even IN AMERICA for crying out loud! Now, about the book, Giffin always challenges me with her characters, and this book is no different. Sometimes I understand them, and sometimes I hate their guts. However, she always has the outside "source of reason" character that asks all the questions you're thinking, and tells off the characters exactly like you would, which I love. If you're going to read this book, you NEED to read "Something Blue" by her, because it's basically a follow-up, only with Darcy, the "villain" so to speak, of this book. By the end of that book, everything comes full circle and you truly see her inner struggle. Read it. And the rest of her books, too.

6. One Day by David Nicholls

This is the only book on this list that I hate. "Katie, if you hate this book, why should we read it?" I'll tell you why. Because the main characters are awful people in totally different ways. The guy is basically a horrible human being with no redeeming qualities, and plays horrible games with the girl, who I also hate for being a spineless piece of crap. I literally shouted at these people "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!" multiple times. Once when I was reading at a Starbucks. I need you to read this book so that you can avoid dating either one of these people, because once you see them, you'll hate them. If you identify with either one of these people, you'll understand why people hate you.

This book is pretty much the literary (if I could even describe such whiny drivel as "literary") version of "The Ring", where you have to show it to someone else so that they understand how awful people are. They're not perverts or rapists, not thieves or con artists, but in a way they're worse. Because there's no law against wallowing in self-pity or being a prick.

7. Thin, Rich, Pretty by Beth Harbison


Beth Harbison just gets me. I love her. I love everything I've ever read by her. Again, it's separate story lines executed with perfection. Easily relatable and surprisingly likeable characters, plus her books are based in the Washington, DC area! Like, I KNOW THESE PLACES. All of her books are, which just makes it that much better to me. Her books are like my mom's chocolate chip cookies. Delicious, remind me of home, and over way too fast. Divine.


8. The Social Climber's Handbook by Molly Jong-Fast



I'm going to be straight with you right now, this book is MESSED UP. Like, mostly I'm suggesting some light chick-lit, beach reads, happy endings. THIS ISN'T LIKE THAT AT ALL. You kinda hate all the characters in it, because basically everyone is a sociopath, and the whole time you're like WHAT JUST HAPPENED. Don't read this at the beach unless the person next to you doesn't mind you saying "YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT JUST WENT DOWN IN THIS BOOK" because they'll be like "shut up I'm working on my tan." Just.... read it. You'll see. No spoilers. Just read it.

9. Chasing Venus by Diana Dempsey


Honestly, this is the book I just finished. Her books are a mix of chick-lit, romance, and mystery, which makes me supremely happy. They're so easy to read. You start reading, thinking "oh I'll read a chapter before I start making dinner", then all of a sudden it's 3 hours later, your house is completely dark, you're starving, and you've gotten nothing done. One of the problems I have with her writing is that there are a few love scenes, but they're just utterly boring and predictable. Too romance novel-esque. However, the storyline is amazing, so it's still worth it.

10. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger


I'm going to admit to you that this is one book where the movie actually does it justice. Of course some chunks of story got cut, certain situations manipulated, and a random gay friend who definitely wasn't in the book, but I really enjoyed both equally. The book is more complex, a bit more gritty, but no one wants to see grit in a movie like that. Both are worth your time, and her other books are just as good as this one. Love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment