Monday, March 18, 2013

I Can Make Food!

That's right. As a almost totally real Adult Person, I feed myself. Keep in mind, with my kind-of job at around 6 hours a week, I'm home a lot. I'm also poor, so I don't go out to eat much. Most days, I eat all three meals at home. So does Phoenix. We go through a lot of dishes, and a pretty good amount of food.

Yesterday, I made brussels sprouts, which typically I don't like. But there are a few recipes on Pinterest that people really love, and you can buy them for really really really cheap, so I took a shot.

This is the recipe I used: http://lifestylethreesixfive.com/2012/10/19/recipe-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-garlic-aioli/

Can I just say.... HOLY CRAP SO GOOD. Now, usually when I make a recipe it's more inspiration, but for the actual roasting of them I followed it exactly like a good girl, including subbing in olive oil for canola (it wasn't as far away). For the aioli I used low-fat mayo, dijon mustard, and garlic powder, because I'm out of actual garlic. Phoenix and I gobbled them up. They also looked EXACTLY like the picture she put up, which almost never happens. I suck at taking pictures of food, so just use that, k? K.

I also tried this recipe: http://www.sweettoothlove.com/balsamic-glazed-brussels-sprouts-with-crushed-pine-nuts-and-parmesan/

Now, I didn't use pine nuts, partly because they cost more per pound than freaking porterhouse steak, and partly because I don't really like using nuts in my cooking. Maybe it's because my mom had a walnut allergy and therefore tends to avoid most nuts, maybe it's because I'm a weird person. Either way, I don't do nuts. I also used metal skewers and had them balanced across the top of the pan, like so.



Only the top row had balsamic vinegar at this point, but they all got the right stuff. I did what the recipe said, plus sprinkled a little garlic powder on top because I thought it'd be good. It wasn't great, and I wouldn't do it again, but that's my fault, not theirs.

Topped with some Parmesan cheese, these were also pretty delish.

I'm hoping to do some recipe/cooking stuff here pretty often. We feel good about this?

Also, just FYI, I'm not vegan, vegetarian, low carb, organic, gluten free, or paleo (which I don't even understand). I do, however, respect any and all of the above choices, and I've never judged a food allergy.

A small note about gluten free: to those who are allergic to gluten, have Celiac disease, or anything else that prevents them from eating gluten, I'm sorry, and I'll gladly make you something else. To those who think going gluten free is healthier, that's a load of crap. Humans have been eating barley, wheat, and other grains that create gluten for thousands of years, so don't tell me my whole wheat bagel is making me "sick". High fructose corn syrup, bleached white Wonderbread, and trans fats might be, but I'm not allergic, so don't be hating just because you're jealous of my delicious fresh sourdough. It would make you sick, not me. So there.

Yeah, I fit a rant into a food blog. BUT IT'S MY BLOG AND I'LL DO WHAT I WANT.

Leave suggestions in the comments for recipes to try!

1 comment: